Serving as Elders
One of the greatest privileges is to serve in the church of Jesus Christ as an elder. It is also a task that involves great responsibility. This course is designed to equip and encourage serving elders in the local church by exploring the unique set of opportunities, tasks and challenges before them.
The church has not always taken the time to offer it’s elders the kind of help that will allow them to know what kind of people they should be, and what kind of tasks they are to be involved in.
Questions such as the following are really important:
- What kind of God am I serving?
- If I am to be involved in God’s purposes, what are they?
- Do I have to be perfect? What kind of qualities should I have and strive for?
- What do the people need from an elder?
- There is so much to be done, but what are my main goals?
- How should I do the work of an elder? What kind of things can I learn to do better?
- What resources are available to help me?
This course will encourage serving elders and new elders explore answers to these sorts of questions.
See the FAQs to find out more.
You can do the course from where you live for the most part.
You can also do the course as a group along with other elders so that you all enjoy the same learning experience together.
Yes, but you do not have to be an expert. You will be asked to sign up on a specific website to access course materials. The website is called Mission Moodle!
There is some reading to do at your own pace. It is not designed to be very high powered, and you will easily understand the material.
There are six parts to the course:
- Theology: The God you will serve as an Elder. This is material for you to read and some lectures for you to listen to or watch. They explain God and his purposes.
- Character: The person you want to be as an Elder. This explores the qualities and character of an elder.
- People: The Church you will help as an Elder. This section explains the need of the people for elders like yourself.
- Goals: The Priorities you must share as an Elder. Two main goals are explored.
- Methods: The Ways you can serve as an Elder. This is the ‘how to’ part of the course – showing you how to do the work of an elder.
- Resources. This last part provides you with a list of materials that will be helpful for you in your work as an elder.
No. There will be local workshops with others who are also taking the course. These will be led by those who are already elders so that you can learn from their experience.
Not really. However, there will be a lot of interactive discussions during the workshops. That is where it will become evident that your understanding has developed and that you know what is to be put into practice.
No. Certainly, many people who are already elders will do it.
However, it is also open to others who have been asked to consider the eldership by the leadership of their church.
Not really. The material is written from a Presbyterian perspective, but the content of the course will be of benefit to people from other denominations.