Funding your studies

It's important that you take time to think about how you will finance your studies well before you start your course.  The funding sources which are available to you will depend on where you come from, at least in the first instance.  It will also depend on your course of studies.

For students to be eligible for SLC (Student Loan Company) funding, they must be studying a designated course. Courses at Edinburgh Theological Seminary are designated each year by the Department for Education. We have made an application for our courses to also be designated for the 2019-20 academic year. We expect this process to be completed in early 2019.


DownloadUndergraduate Students from Scotland

Residents of Scotland studying on undergraduate programmes in Scotland normally have their fees paid by the Students Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS).  SAAS also provides access to student loans and a range of other support, depending on your age and circumstances. 

Residency is defined as follows by SAAS:

  • To meet the general residence conditions, you must have been ordinarily resident in the United Kingdom, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for the three years immediately before the first day of the first academic year of the course (the relevant date). For the majority of students who start their course in the autumn term, the relevant date is 1 August.

  • You must also be ordinarily resident in Scotland on the relevant date.

  • If you are not a UK or other EU national, you must also have ‘settled status’ in the UK (as set out in the Immigration Act 1971) on the relevant date. If you have not been living in the UK, you may still qualify depending on your circumstances.

  • We will not treat you as being ordinarily resident in Scotland if your main purpose in coming here has been to receive full-time education and that you would have otherwise been living elsewhere.


You can find out more on the SAAS website.

If you are applying to start, or continue, studying in an academic session, make sure that you submit your application for funding before the end of June prior to the new session, if at all possible, so it will be processed for the beginning of your studies.  If you leave it till later, you might find that there is an unwelcome gap in your finances.


Students from England, Wales and Northern Ireland

If you are classed as being ordinarily resident in England, Wales or Northern Ireland (i.e., Rest of UK), you will be required to pay tuition fees for each year of your course. The fees set by ETS can be found here.

You may also be entitled to take out an additional student loan to cover tuition costs, and this will be repaid, along with any other student loans, once you have graduated.  Please visit Student Finance England, Student Finance NI, or Student Finance Wales for further information on what you would pay back.


Students from the EU/EEA

If you are from a state in the EU/EEA, the fees are the same as those in the rest of the UK (apart from Scotland).


Students from outside the UK/EU/EEA

If you belong to this category, it is likely that you will be classed as an international student and will have to pay international student fees.


Disabled students

You may be eligible for a Disabled Students Allowance from SAAS, who will need to confirm that you have a place on a course that they support and that you are eligible for support from SAAS. For more information please see DSA notes on funding for disabled students allowance.

If you have a disability or need additional support please contact theThis email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.who will be able to discuss your needs and find expert help to enable you to access the right funding and support for you.